a2ping.pl [options] <inputfile> [[outformat:] outputfile]
a2ping is a UNIX command line utility written in Perl that converts many
raster image and vector graphics formats to EPS or PDF and other page
description formats. Accepted input file formats are: PS (PostScript), EPS,
PDF, PNG, JPEG, TIFF, PNM, BMP, GIF, LBM, XPM, PCX, TGA. Accepted output for-
mats are: EPS, PCL5, PDF, PDF1, PBM, PGM, PPM, PS, markedEPS, markedPS, PNG,
XWD, BMP, TIFF, JPEG, GIF, XPM. a2ping delegates the low-level work to
Ghostscript (GS), pdftops and sam2p. a2ping fixes many glitches during the
EPS to EPS conversion, so its output is often more compatible and better
embeddable than its input.
Without the "--below" option, it is guarenteed to start at the 0,0 coordi-
nate. "--below", "--hires" and "-v" are recommended options.
The page size is set exactly corresponding to the BoundingBox. This means
that when Ghostscript renders it, the result needs no cropping, and the PDF
MediaBox is correct.
If the bounding box is not right, of course, you have problems. If you feed
crap in, you get crap. But you can supply the --bboxfrom=compute-gs option to
make GS recompute the bounding box.
The name of the input file doesn't matter -- a2ping detects the file format
based on the first few bytes of the file. The name of the output file matters
if outformat is missing from the command line: then the extension of the out-
put file determines the FileFormat (outformat).
The internal file format of a2ping.pl is PS/EPS. Everything read is first
converted to PS or EPS, then processed by a2ping.pl, then converted to the
To analyse the bounding box and other properties of non-EPS PS files (and EPS
files with option --bboxfrom other than =guess), GS is used. Converting PS to
EPS involves this analysis.
To write PDF files, GS is used.
To read PDF files, pdftops from the xpdf package is used.
Sampled input formats are PNG, JPEG, TIFF, PNM, BMP, GIF, LBM, XPM, PCX and
TGA. To read sampled input formats, sam2p is used. sam2p is a raster image
converter written in C++ by the author of a2ping.pl.
Extra output formats are PNG, XWD, BMP, TIFF, JPEG, GIF and XPM. To write
extra output formats, sam2p and GS are used.
PNM output formats are PGM, PGM and PPM. To write PNM output formats, GS is
temporary location first. However, this usage is recommended only if there
is a backup of the file to be restored in case a2ping doesn't produce the
o If you specify -- as outputfile, it will be the same as inputfile.
o a2ping respects --Duplex for FileFormat PCL5, even though GS doesn't.
o If you have an incompatible PS that GS can read but your printer cannot
print, just run "a2ping.pl foo.ps PDF: - | a2ping.pl - PS: foo.ps"
o If you have a PS coming from Win32 (often with extension ".prn"), run it
through a2ping. It will remove the resolution changes and the progress text
printed to the terminal (which confuses gv(1) and makes some filters in the
print queue emit incorrect output).
o a2ping does antialiasing (--antialias=scale3no) of glyphs and curves when
emitting a sampled image (FileFormats such as PGM and PPM). This improves
readability of the glyphs. =yes instructs GS to do internal antialiasing,
but it usually doesn't improve much. =scale3no turns off GS internal
antialiasing, but makes it render everything 3x3 as big, and then scales it
back down. =scale3no turns on both 3x3 scaling and GS internal antialias-
ing, which results in thicker lines and worse quality in general.
o When creating a PBM file, antialiasing usually doesn't improve the quality,
so it is switched off by default. But if you set --antialias=scale3no or
--antialias=scale3yes, GS will render a PGM file, and the value of
--threshold determines the minimum intensity for white in the final PBM.
o If you need a bigger sampled output file, specify a larger --Resolution.
The default is --Resolution=72. If your sampled output file is going to be
really big, you should specify --AntiAlias=yes instead of the default
--AntiAlias=scale3no to speed up conversion.
o Doesn't depend on the filename or extension of the input file.
o Conversion from EPS to PDF: fixes glitches etc., calls gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
o Conversion from EPS to EPS: fixes various glitches, moves (llx,lly) to
(0,0), removes binary junk from the beginning of the EPS etc.
o Conversion from PDF to PDF: keeps the file intact
o Conversion from PDF to EPS: calls pdftops -eps (of the xpdf package)
o Conversion from PS to EPS: keeps 1st page only, removes setpagedevice etc.
The author of a2ping is SzabA3 PA(C)ter <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
a2ping is inspired by and historically based on the epstopdf Perl script mod-
ified by Thomas Esser, Sept. 1998, but his modifications have been removed
from a2ping, and also a2ping and epstopdf do not share common code anymore.
BoundingBox of an included file.
* (atend) supported.
* uses strict; (earlier error detecting).
* changed first comment from '%!PS' to '%!';
* corrected (atend) pattern: '\s*\(atend\)'
* using of $bbxpat in all BoundingBox cases,
correct the first white space to '...Box:\s*$bb...'
* corrected first line (one line instead of two before 'if 0;';
2000/11/05 v2.6 (Heiko Oberdiek)
* %%HiresBoundingBox corrected to %%HiResBoundingBox
2001/03/05 v2.7 (Heiko Oberdiek)
* Newline before grestore for the case that there is no
whitespace at the end of the eps file.
2003/02/02 (SzabA3 PA(C)ter)
* option --below
* removes DOS EPSF binary junk correctly
* adds all 3 BoundingBox DSC comments
* reads all 3 BoundingBox DSC comments, and picks the best
* forces BoundingBox to be an integer
* adds %%EndComments and proper %!PS-Adobe-?-? EPSF-?.? header
* adds %%Pages:
* adds invocation syntax: a2ping <infile.eps> <outfile.eps|pdf>
* can convert PDF to EPS (by calling pdftops(1)) and PDF to PDF
* emulates work for PDF input
2003/04/16 (SzabA3 PA(C)ter)
* added PS and sam2p support, renamed to a2ping
* sam2p and pdftops if $InputFilename eq '-';
* remove PJL UEL header from the beginning
* works for PS non-EPS files for input
* input support for PNG JPEG TIFF PNM BMP GIF LBM XPM PCX TGA via sam2p
* removes ^L (form feed) from end of EPS file
* -x=-c:rle to add sam2p options
2003/04/26 (SzabA3 PA(C)ter)
* omit the unnecessary setpagedevice calls when creating normal eps
* --noverbose --nocompress supported differently
* no more option defaults :-(
* multi-page output with PS:, PDF:, PCL5:
* after `a2ping -pa4', file out.pcl says: `HP PCL printer data - A4 page
size', instead of `US letter'
* justlib2-ified doesn't depend on Getopt::Long anymore
* fully supports filtering (stdin and/or stdout), PDF and PCL5 output to
* adds DSC ``%%DocumentMedia: plain 612 792 0 () ()''
* consistent --Resolution and --Duplex handling
2003/12/02 (SzabA3 PA(C)ter)
* --bboxfrom=compute-gs option to fix PS -> EPS bbox (gs -sDEVICE=bbox), tuzv.eps
2004/02/10 v2.77 (SzabA3 PA(C)ter)
* the compute-pipe routine is now run unless --bboxfrom=guess with EPS
* added --gsextra=
* added --antialias=
* added FileFormat PBM, PGM, PPM
* separated FileFormat features to FL_* constants
* added --doc
* there is no default FileFormat (PDF) anymore
perl v5.8.1 2004-05-26 A2PING(1)
Man Pages Copyright Respective Owners. Site Copyright (C) 1994 - 2019
All Rights Reserved.